Pentax is a brand known for manufacturing some of the best cameras. Recently, the company has announced a mid tier DSLR called the Pentax K-30 targeting a wide range of photographers. The K-30 is expected to retail around $850 and will be released sometime during the second half of 2013. Here is a short preview of the camera.
The Pentax K-30 has a classic look. The build looks sturdy and it is easy to grip. The camera weighs around 22.93 oz with the battery and is about 3 inches thick. The overall design is neat and all the controls are easy to access.
Specifications and the key features
The most notable features of the Pentax K-30 are the 100 percent coverage view finder and image stabilization by a shifting sensor. Here are the technical specifications
- A 16.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- Effective image resolution of 3264 x 4928
- Prime – M image processing unit
- Ability to shoot in AdobeRGB and sRGB color spaces
- RAW, JPEG, PIM III, DPOF file formats
- 3 custom white balance settings with 9 presets
- ISO ratings that range from 100 to 12800 and up to 25600 when boosted
- Maximum shutter speed of 1/6000 seconds and a minimum shutter speed of 30 seconds
- 11 exposure modes that include bulb, manual exposure, shutter priority and aperture priority
- 19 intelligent scene modes with automatic exposure metering
- 11 point auto focus system
- Ability to manual focus and 7 auto focus modes that include live view, face detection, continuous focus, single focus, tracking mode, multi area focus and sensor based phase detection
- 3 metering modes – multi area, center and spot metering with a 5 stop exposure compensation
- 3 inch TFT coated LCD display 921,000 dots and adjustable color and brightness settings
- Pentaprism based optical view finder with 100 percent coverage and a maximum magnification of 0.9X
- Built-in flash with an effective range of 40 feet and flash modes that include red eye reduction, slow sync and wireless sync
- Additional Hot Shoe port for attaching external strobe units
These features make the Pentax K-30 one of the best mid tier DSLRs in the market.